15 July 2008

"wiser shoes"

I’ve felt this before.
Why does it happen?
…I don’t really know.
When the relationship suddenly flips.
She was always the older one,
the wiser one;
giving me advice,
getting me through,
being that other big sister for me.
Then it shifts.
She needs me,
she needs the help,
the advice,
the assurance,
the love,
the support.
Suddenly I’m expected
to stand in wiser shoes.
I don’t know where it comes from,
but somehow I say the right things;
late night phone conversations,
problems I couldn’t dream.
Why does this happen?
I’m so content being the younger one,
having such confidence in her or her,
but I’ve felt this before…
this flip has happened before,
and I don’t know why.
I just slip into the role,
do what needs be done out of love,
and trust that God leads me
where I need to go,
even when it takes me from where I am,
where I like being,
into a maturity that sets me apart.
I don’t understand it,
honestly I don’t,
but I know it’s happened before,
maybe it’ll happen again.
…I’ve felt this before,
and it scares me,
worries me,
makes me question
if I’ll be strong enough
if I’m doing everything right
if I’m making God proud.
I don’t really understand,
don’t really know much,
just trying my best to trust,
to be everything I’m supposed to be,
even when I’d rather just be the younger one.

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

me likey.

Jessie said...

my "big sis" but it refers back to someone else. jus think about it, you'll figure it out.

Cassandra said...

You answered this for the wrong poem. Who's one sided about???

Jessie said...

chrisitna just gave me a topic and i ran with it. so really, it's about no one, and yet everyone at the same time.